Replace install new dash, repair broken cracked dash 1999 Dodge Ram
How to Purchase and Install a Dash Camera
Determine which one to buy.
- Websites like Amazon and eBay are flooded with many different cameras, and the quality of many of these cameras can be questionable.
- While you can get a dash camera for -, the quality of these cameras are probably very poor. Most high quality cameras can be found at the 0 price point and higher. The extra cost is worth the investment, since it might make the difference of being able to read license plates with the camera or not, which would be extremely important in a hit-and-run accident.
- A good site that lists many common dash cameras is dashcamtalk.com. This website provides in depth information regarding quality of cameras, as well as reliability and where to get them on secrool.com.
- In addition to buying a dash cam, you will need to buy a microSD memory card to go along with it. You can purchase this from various local brick and mortar retailers.
Determine where to mount camera in car.
- Usually in a place out of sight from the driver and passenger is best, behind rearview mirror. You will want to see what the camera placement will look like from both the driver’s seat and passenger seat, to make sure that both views are not blocked by the camera, which could be distracting.
Mount Camera with provided adhesive strips
- Make sure to line up mount evenly, so the video appears level, and make sure that camera view is clear of obstructions.
- A good rule of thumb here is the old saying measure twice, cut once, since most adhesive mounts will not allow adjustment after being affixed to the windshield.
- Once you feel confident that the camera is correctly lined up, go ahead and mount it with the adhesive strips provided.
Set up wires in a clean manner
- Use adhesive tape or other measures to make wires less noticeable. Another option that you can use is semi-permanent plastic hooks. Using this method works well at holding the cables up, but allows you to easily remove them if you needed to.
Plug into cigarette lighter and you’re ready to go!
- Most dash cameras have the ability to start / stop recording when it receives power. Depending on your make and model, power either shuts off when you turn your car off or stays on even when the ignition is switched off. If your car turns the power to the cigarette lighter off automatically, then all you have to do is plug in the power adapter and forget about it. If your vehicle does not automatically do this, then you will have to unplug the camera’s power cord when you park your car, and plug it back in when you start it up next time.
Review footage in the event of an incident.
- If you are involved in a crash, you can review the footage on the unit itself, as long as it has a screen on it.
- If you need to review the footage on a computer, either take the unit from the car and plug it into your computer via a provided USB cable, or remove the microSD card from the unit and plug it into your computer.
- Once you have the device/card plugged into the computer, open the files with a video player such as Windows Media Player or VLC media player. Most cameras break down clips into small intervals, such as in 1,3, or 5 minute segments.
QuestionWhat if my car does not have a cigarette lighter?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou'll need to either buy a 12V socket/cigarette lighter socket, or hard wire the camera into the fuse box.Thanks!
How long does the battery need for full charge in cigarette lighter please?
Why does the camera turn itself off after about 3 minutes.? Have I misread the instructions re settings?
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Having a dash camera is a great investment to put into your car. In the event of an accident, it can prove that you were not at fault, which can easily save yourself from costly insurance premiums.
- Once the vehicle is in motion, do not touch dash camera as this could cause distracted driving
- Always comply with State/Local laws with regards to electronics in vehicles
- If possible, remove camera from mount and place somewhere hidden when leaving vehicle in high crime area.
Video: Dash Wallet 12.1 Tutorial from Download to Installing and Basic Use!
15 Holographic Clothes and Accessories to ShopNow
How to Make Cauliflower Soup
Vape pen kills man by exploding, piercing his skull
Best Shampoos for Keratin Treated Hair
This Mom Just Proved Perfect Post-Baby Bodies on Instagram Arent What They Seem
My House Was Hiding a Tragic Secret—And I Needed to Know the Truth
McQ By Alexander McQueen Fall 2010 Lookbook
Mardi Gras Costume Ideas
The 1 Workout Move You Should Be Doing, According to a Biggest Loser Trainer
Date: 07.12.2018, 17:38 / Views: 55444